As a member of CADS Software Solutions Division, you will be part of a growing company delivering superb analysis, design and detailing products utilising BIM to connect the engineering and construction industry. Our software is used by thousands of engineers and technicians around the world to deliver billions of pounds worth of projects every year. As an Engineer you will have a key specialist role responsible for the specification, verification and support of CADS’ world-class structural engineering and detailing applications.
Working with the Lead Engineer, you will have responsibility for the engineering excellence of CADS software. You will define engineering requirements and write calculation specifications, research relevant topics and have a thorough understanding of the Codes of Practice and related guidance.
You will then assist the team with the development of the software, resolving their queries and thoroughly reviewing software builds. This will require detailed, formal verification and validation of the engineering calculations, ensuring they are correct and complete before the software is released.
You will also have a significant role in supporting customers in their use of the software, providing engineering guidance and assisting with second-line support.
As an engineer you must be well-rounded, have an eye for detail and a thorough grounding in civil or structural engineering.
The responsibilities of the Development Engineer are:
- Engineering calculation specification:
- Keep abreast of engineering best practices, gaining expertise in one or more subject areas related to CADS software, whether structural analysis, geotechnical engineering or the design and detailing of steel, concrete, composite, masonry, timber or temporary structures.
- Work with the Lead Engineer to research the engineering subject area for the software, gaining a thorough appreciation of the relevant Codes of Practice and related guidance.
- Gain thorough knowledge of existing CADS software in order to maintain and extend it and also to ensure consistency of approach.
- Have expertise in the third-party engineering software sold, supported and extended by CADS including Scia Engineer and Revit.
- Have an appreciation of relevant competitor software, understanding its strengths and weaknesses and using this knowledge in the development of CADS software.
- Write the required engineering specifications and calculations in conjunction with the Lead Engineer, submitting all work for checking and approval.
- Calculation verification:
- Determine how the engineering calculations are to be validated with the Lead Engineer (for example by benchmarking against other software or manual calculations), which validation documents are to be produced and in what form.
- Work with the Lead Engineer to validate the software calculations and record the results in validation documents, submitting all work for checking and approval
- Create benchmark jobs for verification and validation
- Carefully review software builds, identify and resolve any engineering issues with the Lead Engineer, and log bugs
- Assist the development team with the resolution of engineering issues
- Ensure the engineering aspects of the software are correct and complete before the software is released
- Engineering support:
- Assist customers, the CADS Support team and the Lead Engineer with the resolution of support issues that cannot be directly solved by the first-line Support team.
- Assist the Lead Engineer with the engineering aspects of the product launch and its successful adoption by customers
- A good Bachelor’s Degree in civil and/or structural engineering and preferably a Master’s Degree
- Proven experience as a practising engineer or in a role developing structural engineering software
- A good understanding of UK & Euro Codes
- Experience of analysis and design of structures in steel, concrete, masonry and timber
- Excellent communication skills (spoken and written)
- Experience of retaining walls, slope stability, piling and drainage design
- Some experience of bridges would be helpful, but not exclusively bridges
- Familiarity with CADS applications, SCIA Engineer, AutoCAD, Revit and BIM