CADS is a global provider of products and services for construction-related industries. CADS was established in the UK in 1974 by Structural Consulting Engineers to develop, supply and support products for analysis, design and detailing of structural steelwork and reinforced concrete buildings. Since 2007, CADS has also achieved a market leading position in the UK scaffolding industry. CADS is developing cutting edge cloud and mobile solutions that will further enrich its offerings. With over 70,000 product licenses sold in 80 countries and through our design and detailing services, CADS is responsible for some of the most beautiful and iconic buildings in the world.
As a member of CADS Software Solutions Division, you will be part of a growing company delivering superb analysis, design and detailing products for the engineering and construction industry. As a Developer – CAD or Senior Developer - CAD, you will have a key role responsible for the development and customer support of the market-leading concrete reinforcement detailing software CADS RC and RebarCAD.
CADS RC and RebarCAD are the cornerstones of CADS’ global software and detailing services businesses. As a Developer - CAD you will play a crucial role in sustaining, supporting and growing these businesses.
You must be analytical with a strong mathematical background and an eye for detail and precision. You will have key, unique skills in one or more areas: AutoCAD development, Revit development, development in other CAD platforms like MicroStation, Inventor and SolidWorks and a reporting tools such as Crystal Reports and DevExpress Reports. You will also be qualified and experienced in software design and programming in some or all of: C++, C#, ADS, ObjectARX, MFC, ATL COM, VB6, LISP, the BDF language, DevExpress components and related tools and technologies.
You will be writing first-class code that not only meets the software requirements but is also well structured, elegant and efficient, is easy to maintain and is, where possible, modular and reusable. You will also be thoroughly testing your work, writing well-designed, efficient unit tests where possible to automate the testing of your modules. You will be writing your code to the company’s coding standards, submitting your code for code review and contributing your expertise to the code reviews of others’ work.
The responsibilities of an AutoCAD Developer are:
- CAD development component:
- Design code that is elegant, efficient, modular, reusable, testable, maintainable and follows good software design practices.
- Have a thorough understanding of the languages, tools and libraries on the company technology stacks for CADS RC development, particularly those related to C++, C#, ADS, ObjectARX, MFC, ATL COM, DeveExpress, VB6 and LISP.
- Undertake technical investigations and produce proof-of-concepts prototypes with the Lead Developer where required to solve problems and resolve technical challenges.
- When developing software, ensure the relevant parts of the Software Requirements Specification and the Software Architecture are understood, raising queries to the Lead Engineer and the Lead Developer as required.
- Develop source code and unit tests in accordance with the company Coding Standards.
- Take responsibility for the correctness of all written code, thoroughly testing it and correcting all errors.
- Take responsibility for the quality of all written code, ensuring that it is clear, concise, well structured, efficient and well documented with code comments.
- Make precise and careful code changes, ensuring that improvements to the software do not introduce new bugs.
- Submit all source code (including unit test code) to the Lead Developer for code review – assist the Lead Developer with code reviews, especially where you have specialist knowledge.
- Fix defects found during code reviews and unit testing.
- Fix defects reported by others and logged in the defects list.
- Raise defects, issues or change requests when testing software builds.
- Report development component:
- Create DevExpress reports to support our global user base of over 4000 customers.
- Use your knowledge of C# DevExpress scripting to deliver custom reports that exactly meet customer requirements.
- Provide excellent customer service by delivering reports that are error free, on time.
- AutoCAD and Revit API expertise component:
- Use your specialist knowledge and experience of AutoCAD and Revit to design and develop extensions and improvements to products in the detailing product group, working with the Lead Developer and Lead Engineer.
- Gain an in-depth knowledge of AutoCAD and Revit, its commands, usage and best practices.
- Gain expertise and keep abreast of developments in the AutoCAD and Revit API, identifying where API improvements can be used to improve products in the detailing product group.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or appropriate experience.
- Proven experience as a professional software developer.
- Excellent analytical ability and an eye for detail and quality.
- Expertise and a passion for AutoCAD development.
Location, travel and reporting relationship
- : Chennai or Broadstone
- : Occasional travel to the Corporate HQ in the UK or to the development office in Chennai, or to customer sites as required.
Reporting relationship: Product Manager